Thursday, December 3, 2009

I agree with Yagelski's article "Writing Roles for Ourselves" His pain at writing his dissertation in essentially a foreign language to him is something near and dear to my heart. The training we receive to write in an entirely different discourse seems very artificial to me. Even as I play the game to work my way through the school system, I find it more difficult every year to be as effective in participating in the next level of discourse. I can only imagine the level of frustration that comes from writing something like a dissertation. Still it was refreshing to experience the article's look into the lives of two students. I found that I had some of the difficulties that these students had as well during the development of my own writing.I think if I have this experience that Yagelski had with his students I probably would react in the same way. I believe the standard is here to stay much to my chagrin.

No comments:

Post a Comment